South Third Street

South Third Street: West Side
 

1 South Third Street: Alpha Bldg. This building occupies two adjacent lots, beginning at the corner with South Third Street. " In the 18th Century, the corner lot was the shop of clock-maker Moritz Bishoff. Bishoff moved his store and sold the property to Henry Bush, who built a stone hotel. After Bush's death, this hotel was run for many years by his widow, and became known as the Widow Bush's Hotel. The hotel was demolished in 1869, and replaced with a brick building known as the Porter Building. The adjacent lot on Centre Square (to the west) was also originally a hotel - one of the first licensed in the county. It was owned by William Craig (Easton's first elected Sheriff ) and his partner...more detail on 1 so. Third st.

  Pine Street
  25-27 South Third Street: Easton Parking Garage & Police HQ - Built in the 1970s as part of the Urban Renewal Program. This entire block had once (in the 1780s) become the property of Conrad Ihrie, Sr. who had divided it among three of his children. " The most southerly third, at the corner of South Third and Ferry Streets, was given to John Arndt, Conrad Ihrie's son-in-law ...more detail on 25-27 so. Third st.
  Ferry Street
South Third Street: East Side
 

6 South Third Street: Wachovia Bank Bldg. - Wachovia is the successor to The Easton Bank (later Easton National Bank), and The Easton Trust Company. The modern building includes mosaic plaques on both the Centre Square and Third Street sides, showing cameos of famous Easton historical figures. In approximately 1800, the present bank's location was occupied by Easton's first bank, a branch of the Pennsylvania Bank. It occupied a stone building built on the corner by Jacob Arndt in 1790....more detail on 6 so. Third st.

  Pine Street
  20-22 South Third Street: Knecht Bldg. (Masonic Temple) - This was the site of the earliest official building in Easton: the town jail, built of logs just after the founding of the town in 1752, and improved with stone by 1755, to serve as a refuge from Indian attack if necessary. " In 1784, during the "Pennamite War" between Pennsylvania and Connecticut settlers over the land around Wilkes-Barre, 27 captured Connecticut ("Yankee") settlers were held in Easton's stone jail for several months, but they ultimately overpowered the guard and escaped....more detail on 20 so. Third st.
  Parking Lot
 

44 South Third Street: "Old" Odd Fellows Hall (Masonic Hall) - Despite the modern white and brown concrete fašade, the cornerstone for this building was laid on 13 June 1847, after a procession of various Odd Fellows lodges including Easton's Peace and Prosperity, No. 69. The building was dedicated the following year, on 18 May 1848, with another Odd Fellows's procession around downtown Easton, starting at "Drinkhouse's corner" (now 1 Centre Square - the "Jakie" Mayer Building ) and ending here, at the new hall....more detail on 44 so. Third st.

  Ferry Street
 

100 South Third Street: Benjamin Ihrie Bldg. - A plaque high over the front door identifies the building as "B. Ihrie, c.1850", apparently referring to Benjamin Ihrie, a son of Easton investor Conrad Ihrie. In approximately 1850, the building served as a refuge for Easton's Odd Fellows, after they lost the hall they had constructed for themselves on the corner across Ferry Street. Easton's "Peace and Plenty" Lodge was, however, disbanded as a result of troubles arising from the building crisis. The building became the home of the H.G. Tombler Grocery Co., before it moved in 1903 to build the Tombler Building next door on Ferry Street...more detail on 100 so. Third st.

this site is brought to you by local historian Ricard F Hope, and local realtor Ellen Shaughnessy - realSellen.com
* updated 2.23.2012 eps *