North Third Street "millionaire's row"

Click star on block of interest @ right to get to building snippets,
then you can click to detailed word documents for further info:

Centre Square to Church St.: West Side

52 Centre Square: Detwiller House
In 1771, this property was occupied by John Spering. In 1778, in the midst of the American Revolution, Mr. Spering abandoned his wife and four children to restore his allegiance to his King, and sailed for England. His property was confiscated by the Revolutionary government, destroying the family's financial security. Two of his daughters were indentured as servants, one to Jacob Arndt (who later built a house across Third Street, see below). One of Spering's sons (John) was a soldier in the Continental Army. Based in part on John's war service, Spering's other son (Henry) finally succeeded in 1782 in obtaining a bill restoring the property title to the four Spering children. Henry subsequently became Sheriff in 1797-1800....more detail on 52 Centre Square.


coming soon:


12 North Third Street: Vitality Center Bldg.          
16 North Third Street: Subway Bldg.

 

Centre Square to Church St.: East Side

5 North Third Street: Hotel Huntington Bldg. The Hotel Huntington at the corner of North Third Street and Centre Square was opened in 1903, and was renovated and substantially expanded in 1910 by Architect William Michler. It now serves as an apartment building. The Hotel occupies property that John Stillwagon purchased from the Penn Family in 1760. Stillwagon built a dwelling and a stone store on his property. Over the years, these had become subdivided into two lots, each with separate buildings that replaced Stillwagon's original structures. The Huntington Hotel reunited these two lots, and incorporated the two successor buildings ...more detail on 5 n. Third st.                                        

         
 Church St. to Spring Garden St.: West Side

        

20 N. Third St. Dr. Innis Residence, c.1848 (now Quadrant Book Mart & Coffee House). 3-1/2-story brickface building with three tall chimneys. Garden at rear was an indoor conservatory in the original mansion. (Map Reference 40) Constructed in approximately 1848 as the residence of Dr. Charles Innis into the 1870s, and of his widow (Tilda) and son (Edward) into the 1880s. Now a meeting place for the Easton political and arts communities, the Quadrant Book Mart is operated by Jo Moranville and Andris ("Andy") Danielsons... more 20 n. Third street historic details.

22-24 N. Third St. Hulick Mansion (now Roy Rover Antiques at 22, and Durning's Fast Plumbing at 24). Tall, 3-1/2 story stone front building. Described as the "Hulick mansion" in 1885, that had replaced an "old stone building" of 1852. It was apparently built by Derrick Hulick (1814-1872), a long-time employee and ultimately the partner of John Drake in the wholesale grocery firm of Drake & Hulick, which built the Drake Building on S. Third Street. Hulick's widow, Ruth, and his family continued in residence after his death. " A daughter, Mary Frances Hulick (married name Mrs. George B. Titus), continued to live in the house until after 1920. " Additional family continued in residence until after 1930.... more details on 22-24 n. Third Street.

26-28 North Third Street: Davis Duplex - Residence perhaps built in 1811 , now considered two separate properties, including Elliott & Elliott law office and Forrest M. Noll (dentist). The land appears to have been part of the Reese Family holdings, as was a stone house next door (now replaced by the Hohl House). Abraham Horn acquired this property as an assignee from Reese Family heirs in 1807, and promptly resold it to Jacob Arndt, the son of French and Indian War Major Jacob Arndt, Sr., and brother of John Arndt, a Captain in Washington's Army in the Revolutionary War. Arndt sold the property in 1809, after buying land at the corner with Centre Square on which he built a brick residence, which became the original building of "Chippy" White's famous hotel and which is now incorporated into the Hotel Huntington... more detail on 26 no. Third st.
   

32 N. Third St. Hohl House (now apartments & Budget Blinds). Tall, 3-story brownstone. In 1885, this was the brownstone residence of George Hohl (retired baker), which replaced a frame house that had stood on the lot in 1852. In 1900 this address had become the residence of Eli Fox (a jeweler), and in 1920 of Frederick Sherrer (a physician).... details on 32 n. Third st.

 

 

36 N. Third St. Thomas Rinek Mansion (now 'Budget Blinds' shop). Ornate stone-fronted home, with second-floor balcony protected by stone railing with 5 carved circles; a pointed Dutch-style roof front and a decorative tower. The present building appears to be Thomas Rinek's "beautiful home", built in 1884, which continued to be owned by the family into the 20th Century. Thomas Rinek was the president of the Northampton County National Bank, and one of four brothers who were partners in the J. Rinek Sons cordage company. His nephew, Charles Norvin Rinek, was later President of the company, and an early aviation competitor of the Wright Bros.) ...more details on 36 n. Third.

40 N. Third St. Armstrong Residence (now Easton Electronics). 3-1/2-story red brick building with two dormer windows. (Map Reference 39) The present building appears to have been the residence in the 1880s and 1890s of Col. W.H. Armstrong (Attorney-at-Law) and his two sons. The property had been occupied by Henry Keller in 1852.... more detail on 40 n. Third st.
42 N. Third St. Charles Coburn Residence (now Lee N. Orowitz, Podiatrist). Plain 3-story brown brickfront building with bay window on second floor. Charles Coburn, Sr. (retail grocer) occupied this residence by 1852 until the 1880s, and his son Charles Coburn Jr. (restauranteur, saloonkeeper) continued on after him. The alley south of the house is called "Coburn Ct." ...more detail on 42 n. Third Coburn residence.
  56 N. Third St. Parking Lot. Former site of the Seville Theatre (at 52 N. Third St. ) built in 1929, renamed the Boyd Theater in 1933. An elaborate "Spanish" style building, inside was an "atmospheric" theatre designed to give the illusion that patrons were sitting outdoors in a Spanish garden in summer. Theater building was replaced by a parking lot in 1972. Next door to the theater, at 46 N. Third St., was the Monoplane Treat Shop (named for the Lindberg transatlantic flight in 1927), a popular hang-out for teenagers reputed to have also run a clandestine horse betting parlor. This location had been the 19th Century site of several stately homes, including: " 54 N. Third St. - Samuel Drake, of J. Drake's Sons & Co. (for which the former "Drake Building" at 17 S. Third St. was named)....more detail on 56 n. Third st.
60 N. Third St. John Innes Residence (now Stillpoint Massage Therapy Center). 3-story frame building with red brick fašade, ornate 2-story bay window. In 1852, this was the residence of John A. Innes, who remained here until after 1870. In the 1880s and '90s, this was the home of William W. Moon, head of W.W. Moon & Co. (boots and shoes), which Moon had purchased from the Nightingale family... more detail on 60 n. Third st.
62 N. Third St. Whit Wood Mansion (now apartments). Very striking 3-story brownstone building, with rounded bay window from second floor, a rounded arch window above, and small decorative turrets, and floral decorative, black iron work on the roof. In the 1880s and '90s, this address was the residence of J. Whit Wood and his wife, Emily Drake Wood (the owner). " James Whitefield Wood (born 1845) was the proprietor of the Easton Free Press from 1869-71, President of the Easton Board of trade, and a principal in the Tippett & Wood Company boiler works. " His wife, Emily Drake Wood, was a daughter of John Drake, head of the firm that built the former Drake Building on S. Third St. (see entry for Hulick Mansion, below)....more detail on 60 n. Third st.
 

64 N. Third St. was included into this lot in 1886, when Emily Drake Wood purchased it from an heir of the Titus family. " By 1900, J. Whitefield Wood and his family had moved to Church Street, and this house on North Third St. was being used for lodgers. The Wood family continued to own the property until 1967.

 

  66 N. Third St. Jeremiah Gray Homestead at SW corner with Spring Garden St., 3-story brick building (now Emanuel Travel Service). In 1852, this lot held "an old frame building, in which Jeremiah Murphy lived and kept a store." This was replaced by a "brick dwelling and store house" owned by Jeremiah Gray and his family from at least the 1870s until 1922. Mr. Gray was a tailor, but the downstairs "store" in the building in the 1880s was the Frantz & Shafer grocery. The Gray heirs sold the property to members of the Uhler family in 1922. The Uhlers owned it until 1984. In approximately 1984, the downstairs store became the home of the venerable Emanuel Travel Service, begun by Paul Emanuel in 1935 and continued (under various successor owners) to the present day... more detail on 66 n. Third st.

Spring Garden St. to Bushkill: East Side

27-29 N. Third St. German Reformed Church, 1775-76 with 1832 additions (now First United Church of Christ). Revolutionary War church and hospital, site for Indian Conference of 1777. 1832 additions (including spire) by Thomas U. Walter (who designed the dome of the U.S. Capitol building in Washington D.C.). Easton's Second Schoolhouse (1778) is located behind the Church, at the corner of Sitgreaves & Church Streets ...more detail on 27-29 n. Third st.
41 N. Third St. Simon Mansion and Ward House, 1902 (now Third Street Alliance for Women and Children, homeless shelter and recreational facilities). Ornate, "High Renaissance Chateau" style mansion designed by William Marsh Michler. Brochure available inside.... more details on 41 n. Third st.
  53 N. Third St. Parking Lot (with exit at 248 Spring Garden St.). This had been the home of Hon. James Madison Porter in 1852, of his two daughters in 1885, and of his family until after 1920. " James Madison Porter (1793 - 1862) was a Judge, U.S. Secretary of War for President Tyler (1843-44), and the principal founder and first President of Lafayette College. " The Judge's son, James Madison Porter, Jr. maintained law offices at 49 North Third in the 1870s. more details on 53 n. Thrid st.
61 N. Third St. Easton Federal Savings & Loan Ass'n Building (now PNC Bank)(1954). Single-story, modern. The Bank began as the West Ward Building Association. Growing from a group of citizens who met in George L. Transue's grocery store (WS corner 7th and Northampton Streets), it obtained a PA charter in 1873. In Feb. 1952 it converted to the Easton Federal Savings and Loan Association. In the next year (1953), it purchased the Reeder homestead (an "imposing brownstone residence of the early 1800s vintage") and the next lot to the north; razed the Reeder home, and built the current bank building in 1954. " General Frank Reeder resided at 61-63 N. Third St. He was a noted Easton lawyer and Pennsylvania Banking Commissioner, the son of Governor Andrew H. Reeder. " The Reeder family's most famous member, of Andrew H. Reeder, was an Easton attorney who achieved fame (or notoriety) when he was appointed the Governor of Kansas Territory in 1854, and a year later barely escaped the territory with his life as a result of disputes between the pro- and anti-slavery factions. Andrew Reeder's home and office building were located at 14 South Third Street. " The property also includes the former 59 N. Third Street address, which in 1885 held a "massive brownstone mansion" built by Charles Seitz, a partner in one of Easton's major breweries.... more details on 61 n. Third st.  
  65 N. Third St. Mixsell Residence (now Anthony J. Callan O.D., Optomotrist). Small 2-1/2 story white frame (brick fašade) house with rounded arch door and single pointed dormer window. It appears to be the same building that was the home of Edwin B. Mixsell in 1852, and John Kutz (a carpenter) and his sister in the 1880s. By 1900, it was occupied by Evan W. Evans (Physician), and by his widow (Mary) in 1930... detail on 65 n. Third st.

 

252 Spring Garden Street: Chipman Mansion - now the beautiful Sanctuary Salon. Built c.1907 (architect William Michler) as a residence for Easton Industrialist W. Evan Chipman, a partner (with his brother) in the Charles Chipman Sons Hosiery Mills. The building until recently served as Judges' Chambers for the Northampton County Court of Common Pleas... more detail on 252 spring garden.

Spring Garden St. to Bushkill: West Side

100 North Third Street: Sovereign Bank (formerly Karldon Hotel) ...more details on 100 no. Third st.

114-18 North Third Street: Row Houses (Samuel Drinkhouse) ...more details on 114-18 no. Third st.

120-22 North Third Street: Judge Kirkpatrick Properties - recently Pieces of You Boutique at 122, and apartments ...more details on 120-22 n. Third st.

124-28 North Third Street: Lawall Double House last shop here was Rue Bear's Candle shop... more details on 124-28 no. Third st.

130 North Third Street: Townley Bldg. (Thompson Mansion) the ID gallery... more details on 130 no. Third st.

134 North Third Street: Dr. Michler's Practice . . . more details on 134 no. Third st.

Parking Lot

Church St. to Spring Garden St.: East Side

109 North Third Street: Spring Garden Court (former YMCA HQ) Built in 1922 as Easton's second YMCA Headquarters... more details on 109 n Third st.
 

117 North Third Street: James Michler Residence is now the Stiltskins Coffee House... more details on 117 no. Third st.

121-123 n. Third street: The Catherine Drake Mansion John Drake's oldest daughter, Catherine Stewart Drake (1828-1906), never married, but established her home in an elaborate brownstone that still stands at 123 North Third Street. " Her elaborate 3-story brownstone building, with square tower, second-story bay window with columns, pointed gable over second-story rounded arch windows, and other features, still stands today. Catherine Drake was noted for her charitable giving during her lifetime, and a large bequest in her will allowed Easton Hospital to build a new three-story brick building that nearly doubled its capacity (to nearly 100 beds). Miss Drake's will also endowed a trust to maintain the Easton Public Library. She had apparently made a large anonymous contribution to the Library during her lifetime as well; the Library's downstairs meeting room is today named after Catherine Drake... more details on 121-123 n. Third st.

this property is for sale; you can own Catherine Drake's lovely downtown mansion! ($299,k)

  125-29 North Third Street: Robert Wells Building - now Paul Douglas Home Furnishings at 129, and apartments. In 1870s and '80s, 125 N. Third St. was the residence of its owner, Mrs. Eliza Cummings. It contained a "brick messuage or tenement", in which Mrs. Cummings apparently housed R. Brodhead (Attorney-at-law), and leased No. 127 to John Huber, a "Disabled Soldier". Mrs. Cummings's daughter continued to own the property in the early 20th Century, but evidently leased both addresses. " No.125 was occupied by Richard A. Woodring, who used it for a boarding house in 1910, although the boarders were discontinued by 1920. " No.127 housed Martin Riegel, who had no listed profession. By 1923, the property was understood to be "in trouble". Next-door neighbor Elmer Snyder (whose lived in the King Bldg.) purchased the property and (according to his son's modern recollection) built the current building on it to protect his adjacent land interest. During the construction, Mr. Snyder had the workmen incise the legend, "The Robert Wells" (after his son, Robert Wells Snyder) over the door, which is still visible today (now that a covering fašade has been removed). ... see more details on 125-29 no. Third st.
 

131-33 North Third Street: King Building is now Jack 'N Jill Studio, portraits at 131... In 1852, this property was the confectionery and residence of John Able, who was still in residence in 1874. His widow (Maria E. Abel) did not sell the building until 1892, although various tenants apparently occupied it in the 1880s, including bookbinder G.T. Hammon, George W. "Pappy" Rice, William M. Shultz, and also a laundry. Mrs. Abel's deed in 1892, and subsequent deeds in 1894 and 1899, all indicate that the property included a "frame dwelling house and other buildings". This "frame dwelling" does not appear to refer to the current brick building. The next conveyance was in 1917, with no mention of the frame dwelling. This suggests that the modern brick building may have been built by the owner during the 1899 - 1917 period: Milton H. King. An ornamental scroll inscribing the letter "K" over the middle third-story window, also lends support to this supposition... more details on 131-33 no. Third st.

  135-37 North Third Street: Siegfried Homestead now Logos 'N T-Shirts and apartments - In 1852, "a man by the name of Putzell lived and kept store" at this location. In 1885, Jacob Sandt's grocery was at this location. By the turn of the century, the building fell upon hard times. In 1899, owner John Martin lost the building in a Sheriff's sale, together with the corner lot and other properties on Spring Garden Street. In that deed, the property was said to contain a "brick tenement". In 1900, the lot was acquired by merchant grocer Charles Siegfried.... more details on 135-37 no. Third st.
  139 North Third Street: Residence and Apartments now The Center for Positive Change, family counseling at No.139 ). 2-story blond brick building, with added third story and black-on-white decorative frieze at roof-line. In 1852, this property housed the Union Hose House. In 1885, it was the residence of Easton's Chief of Police Henry C. Tilton (at the 256 Bushkill St. address ), and George W. "Pappy" Rice's ice cream and oyster saloon on North Third Street. In 1899, the property owner (John Martin) lost it in a Sheriff's Sale. It was acquired by the Bull family and their heirs until 1973... more details on 139 no. Third st.

this site is brought to you by local historian Ricard F Hope, and local realtor Ellen Shaughnessy - realSellen.com