|219 Ferry Street: Phoenix Fire Company House - In 1824, the Phoenix Fire Company was organized as the second fire company in Easton. In 1858, the Company's house became "unfit for use", and it built this building as a new fire house. The building was equipped with an alarm bell, which was the first in Easton. " The building is one of Easton's more successful commercial restorations, and most delectable restaurants! Sette Luna...more detail on 219 Ferry st.|
|225 Ferry Street: Originally a Stone Unitarian Church, now re-invented - In 1847, this property was purchased for $2000 by two trustees of the First Universalist Society of Easton "as a Site upon which to Erect and build a church". At that time, the property already had a frame building on it.# The stone church building (now partly covered in places in brick and brickote) was begun in that same year: a marble date stone reading "1847" is visible a few feet up from the ground at the street corner of the building.# The building was dedicated at a religious service on 20 February 1848. The newspaper described the building as being "of stone, 42 by 63 feet in its dimensions, and contains 70 pews, that will occommodate [sic] from 455 to 500 persons. It is finished in a neat plain and substantial manner, and carpeted and furnished in handsome style throughout. The pulpit, in particular, is a pattern of neatness and good taste."# The same newspaper contained an announcement that the on the following Sunday, the Rev. Mr. Burn would deliver a sermon "appropriate to the death of John Quincy Adams", which was the main topic of news of the day ...more detail on 225 Ferry. *this property is currently for sale.|
|230 Ferry Street: Tombler (Easton Arts) Bldg. - J-shaped building with tall tower at the back, and courtyard. It was built in 1903 for the H.G. Tombler Grocery Co. " H.G. Tombler founded this large wholesale grocery business in 1857, and continued to head it until the first decade of the 20th Century. Tombler was also the first President of the Easton Board of Trade; an organizer and first President of the Edison Illuminating Company; President of the Matteawan Felting Company; and a Vice President of the Easton Shoe Company. Working through the Board of Trade, he was instrumental in (among other things) bringing Herman Simon and the Simon silk mill operation to Easton in 1883...more detail on 230 Ferry st. *you can lease loft/office space now, on second floor here.|
|233-35 Ferry Street: Old Nevin Building - now Ocean restaurant. In 1910 and 1912, this building was listed as the “Nevin Building”. Nevin purchased the property in 1907 from the heirs of John Bercaw, who had owned it since 1865. Nevin sold it in November 1913, and remodeled another property that he and his wife had assembled at 24-28 South 2nd Street, which then became known as the “Nevin Building” by 1914. The Old Nevin Building on Ferry Street passed through four owners before becoming the property of a partnership between Isaac B. Hochman and William L. Folk in 1923. The partners had also acquired the new Nevin Building on South 2nd Street the previous year... more detail on 233-35 Ferry.|
|237 Ferry Street: Elizabeth Innes House - This small house and property was purchased on 4 January 1841 by James R. Innes. Eighteen years later, James conveyed the “frame Dwelling House” to a trustee, whose instructions were to hold the house as a residence for (or alternatively give the rents to) Elizabeth Innes, Widow of Samuel Innes. He was then to sell the property after Mrs. Innes’s death. Elizabeth Innes’s husband, Easton Argus newspaper co-founder, publisher and editor Samuel Innes had died unexpected at age 38 in 1841 – just before the first purchase. It thus seems likely that James Innes in fact purchased the small house in 1842 in order to make some accommodation for his [sister-in-law?]. In the 1870s, the house on Ferry Street (then numbered 69 Ferry street) was the residence of John A. Innes, who was Elizabeth (and Samuel) Innes’s son. Late that year, with the impending inauguration of the modern street numbering scheme, the house was assigned the modern 237 Ferry Street address. ...more detail on 237 Ferry.|
|357 Ferry Street: Susan Innes Building (357-61 Ferry Street) Ground floor has a modern façade applied over the brick, around a large show window. Adjoins the Parsons-Taylor House at the corner of Ferry and South 4th Streets. This is part of Original Town Lot No.176, as laid out by Easton founder William Parsons in 1752. By 1757, the small stone Parsons-Taylor House at the corner (one of the oldest surviving houses in Easton) had been built at the corner for Easton’s Founding Father William Parsons. Parsons died in the house in 1757. Parsons never obtained formal title to his stone house in Easton – perhaps because he was never happy about his appointment to Easton, despite his pivotal role in founding the town. Nearly a year after Parsons’s death, his Executor obtained a formal patent from the Penn Family for the stone house at an annual ground rent of 7 shillings, and sold the property several months later to Charles Swaine, a Philadelphia merchant. Swaine held the property until 1767, when he sold it for £200 to fellow Philadelphia merchant John Hughes. Hughes’s Executor and heirs sold it in 1780 to yet another Philadelphia merchant, Joseph Dean. In 1780, George Taylor (signer of the Declaration of Independence) returned to Easton to lease the Parsons stone house from the Hughes Estate just before it was sold. Taylor himself died there the following year... more detail on 357 Ferry.|
500 Ferry Street: Meyer Grocery (500-502-504 Ferry Street) Ferry Street and 103 South 5th Street, appears to have been a small corner of Out Lot No.10 – which consisted of more than 7 acres of land – purchased by Peter Nungesser from the Penn Family for £ 17 and 10 shillings "in specie".# This location is, in general, part of the section of Easton that became known as "Dutchtown" for its association with German-speaking (and often, Jewish) inhabitants.
Peter Nungesser died without a will; his daughter, Sarah (who married Hill Hutchinson) inherited the property at an Orphan’s Court proceeding on 5 November 1820. In 1833, she sold a piece of the property 1 acre and 112 perches in size to Charles Kitchen and Azariah Prior. Charles Kitchen would later become the Chief Burgess of Easton in 1854-55 who adopted numbered streets and house number addresses. In 1841 and 1842 (in two transactions), Azariah Prior sold his interest to Charles Kitchen, who then proceeded to sell a parcel at the corner measuring 40’ X 100’ to house carpenter Mathias (also spelled Matthias) Seiple and his wife, Sabina. They paid $250 for this land, with no specific mention in the deed of any building on the property.... more detail on 500 Ferry.
site is brought to you by local historian Ricard F Hope, and local realtor Ellen
Shaughnessy - realSellen.com
* updated 10.16.2012 eps *